<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, December 05, 2011

A COOKIE FOR THE BEAR..... 


The Christmas Spirit hit me hard today. I was well into my usual routine of morning chores when I looked out the window and it was snowing. I was surprised as the weather report sounded like we’d be on the edge. For a while I watched the pig puffy flakes come down but they eventually became smaller and then quit.

It put me in mind of the chorus I would hear back in the 50’s and 60’s when the children were growing up. The first snow of the year was big excitement and pictures kept flipping across my mind……putting snow shoes, leggings, stocking-caps and mittens on….coat, scarfs, whatever.

The mothers who read this will know after getting everyone hitched up and out the door, it would only be about 20 minutes until they were back with all of the above, wet and snow-packed. Before they dried out (no clothes dryer) they were back for more and this repeated until we were all worn out.

In the afternoon “Miracle on 34th Street” came on TV and my favorite of all times, “The Grinch Who Stole Christmas” was on the other night. Both movies were the new versions so it kept me entertained. Becky’s favorite Christmas movie is “It’s a Wonderful Life.”

One of my favorites is the long ago Andy Williams Christmas Show on TV. Do you remember the bear who always wanted a cookie? It went on every weekly show….the bear would show up, knock on the door for a cookie and Andy would always refuse him. Finally at Christmas one year he actually got a cookie and as he went to take a bite, he looked up and a little girl was standing ill-clad, cold and hungry. The bear looked at his cookie and gave it to her, then walked away.

Christmas is a time to show our love by the simple, little things we do. It’s different for all of us but somehow we attempt to show our love for the Son of God, family and friends. Beyond that are many people, most nearby, who could use a short visit with a plate of cookies and a hug. It’s in the small things that bring the most happiness.

Life’s finest moments come in small packages………

Essentially Esther