<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, October 20, 2011

HAPPY DOG, HAPPY DOG..... 


How many of you have received something “free” and later realized you had been given a Money Pit? (By the way…it was one of my favorite movies.) Mandy came as a free dog, with papers to register her, which we never did. She was 2 ½ years old when she was given to us in 2005. She is now somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 ½ years.

She had been in a house with young children, another dog (different Breed,) and was very gun-shy. The least little noise made her scurry under the bed. Her stomach was upset being dropped off at a strange place and we had quite a time with the “potty” thing. We were told she was house-broken but with being in a strange place and the difficulty of conversing our intentions it took time and patience.

Mandy is a Shih Tzu and a sweet dog. Her surgery was 2-weeks ago today and has had her staples taken out. After a grooming she will be ready to come home, fresh as a daisy and her beautiful self. I always miss her when she’s gone. The house is not quite right without her.

Since the surgery she was been barking at the cats and doing her whirly-gigs which is her way of showing that she’s having fun or excited. I am actually more a cat person but Mandy has such a good personality it is easy to love her.

Pets are such a large part of my daily life I know I would be very lost without them. My friends tell me when they die they want to come back as one of my cats. If they are lost, hungry, scared and abandoned I can guarantee I will make a place for them.

What is it that gives us the desire and grace to carry on when we have lost so much? We have a lot of news about the rebuilding of Joplin where the tornado took something or all of those who live there. The local news shows hundreds of volunteers coming in for the weekends and some come and stay long periods of time. Not one word is accusatory or angry…….the people who have lost so much and suffered the most are usually the ones who are the most grateful and hopeful.

Without Hope this world would be a much sadder place……….

Essentially Esther