<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, September 15, 2011

TIME TO..... 


Hard to believe I’ve not written a blog since August 30th. It isn’t only me but everyone is wondering where time goes. I wonder who started the counting of time? Day-time, night-time, bed-time, Fall time, Spring time, Winter time, Summer-time, time to eat, to go, to do, to have. Our lives are run by time but where has it been and where does it go?

One doesn’t feel any difference from the last day of the previous year to the new one just arriving. But time says we are a year older. In the reality of one day we separate one year from another. I read something that made sense but can’t remember who the quote belongs to. It went something like this, “Today is the oldest I’ve ever been…..but younger than I will be tomorrow.” Today is the only day we can count on. It’s been written many ways and many times.

I used to panic in the 6th grade. We had a teacher who was high on “timed tests.” I knew the answers but found myself unable to finish because I kept looking at the clock. The TV show “A Minute to Win It” is akin to the way I used to feel when Mrs. Browning announced another timed test.

She was a good teacher and kindly…..I thought she was ancient but looking back she was probably in her early 50’s. Women back then dressed “old” and thereby seemed much older than they were. Every morning we stood at the beginning of class time and recited the Preamble of the United States of America. It followed the Pledge Allegiance to the Flag. The preamble was written on a blackboard higher than the standard one we used and with beautiful handwriting.

It’s sad that handwriting is no longer part of the curriculum because all of the electronic gadgets have ruled us. Times have changed dramatically. We don’t have to learn arithmetic because the calculators do it for us….printing and writing are much the same……done on computers. I can change fonts with a click and make my own cards, gather information………could entertain myself for hours if only I had the time.

Time to diet, quit smoking, doing drugs, to be responsible……time to get started. One of my favorite passages in Ecclesiastes, is Chapter 3, first verse through 10. It pretty well puts time in perspective. Some of the cruelest events to claim time are tornados, earthquakes, fires, floods and any of which costs time and money.

I do not know and cannot understand how others use their time……I only know what it means to me. It is fleeting and we cannot reclaim any of it. Once gone it is just gone.