<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, August 12, 2011

HOLLYHOCKS ARE SPECIAL..... 


My good friend, Rosalie, and I have kept in touch over the years when we were no longer neighbors. We lived across the street from one another since the late 50’s or early 60’s. (Rosalie, put a comment on for the correct time.) They moved in across the street and an older couple came and went whenever the car left the driveway. The weather wasn’t giving an inch with the cold hanging on. Eventually, I didn’t see the older couple anymore…..and assumed they had been visiting.

Later, when I went to pay a visit and welcome the family to the neighborhood, I learned they were her in-laws from Emporia, KS and had been staying with them while her father-in-law was getting cancer treatments. Our little community was actually a suburb of Kansas City, MO and without traffic at rush hour it was just a hop, skip and jump to downtown KC where there were hospitals all over the place. In those days, Shawnee, still had grassy areas with cows, grazing down the street. It was so nice to go out in the back yard and watch them as I hung laundry.

Our neighborhood was built soon after WW11when the G.I.’s came home from the war. Many of those were bought by guys who just wanted to start their family and own their own homes. Since then, the children of those Veterans have grown up and bought the houses they were raised in. So the neighborhood is populated by the kids who grew up there, considerably. The homes were nice but a little on the “un-wow” side. Most had been refurbished outside and in and had become very nice for “first homes” to those kids who didn’t want to move from the neighborhood.

Well, Rosalie and I were “stay-at-home” moms. It was by choice and we were dedicated to raising our children up right. She was 6-years younger with younger children so I was more like a big sister to her. As for my children?? Well, I tried.

I told Rosalie I would show her my prize surprise on the blog today. Last year they were little miniature Hollyhocks and I loved them. I have been on a Hollyhock binge for ages. Could NOT get them to grow here but this year they made a good showing. In the same place I had the mini’s last year, I had a large Hollyhock come up but none of the little ones. When the Hollyhock started blooming it was such a dark purple it looked black. The blooms on it looked like chrysanthemums. So now when you look at the picture you will know what you’re looking at. Thanks to Richard for taking the picture.

And by the way, Rosalie, I’m saving some of the seed of the one in the picture so you can plant some of your own. If planted anytime now they will come up next spring so I’ll get some in the mail for you………but you know the important thing,

Do NOT thank me for them………

Essentially Esther