<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Wednesday, June 08, 2011

SURPRISES ARE NICE..... 


A good thing about writing a blog is the surprise that happens occasionally. I heard from a cousin this week which was nice….. normally we only connect at Christmas each year. I had mentioned my mother’s quote in the last blog and it brought a memory back to her. She emailed to say my mother had written the verse in her Autograph Book many years ago.

She wrote about her family and her recent retirement. I was delighted to hear from her because my cousins, one aunt and one uncle are the only “family” I have other than my three children and their families.

Families used to grow up, get married and live in the same town for the rest of their lives. Working for one company until retirement age went missing after the onslaught of the electronic age. Families are thrust in every direction, going where the work is. And now we seem to be going through the same economic perils we’ve heard our folks talk about.

Personally, I’ve never been a kid who hated hearing about it. Growing up in the depression I loved hearing all the aunts and uncles discussing the bad times they had to deal with. There were a lot of aunts and uncles in those days and cousins to play with……it seems a mighty long way off now. One thing about the depression, it was universally cruel to everyone on every level.

Looking for work and money to feed the family was every dad’s responsibility. What didn’t sink in as a kid listening to the stories became reality when I became a parent. I realized how hard my dad worked for the small paycheck……while I didn’t make much to begin with, I was blessed along the way with job opportunities…..and better pay eventually.

One thing for sure, tough times and all, mom and dad were on the job as parents. I have to admire their effort in keeping things together until times changed for the better. I didn’t wish for a “better” life because I always thought that was what I had. Kids expected to wear “hand me downs” and patches on the knees where the fabric had been ground off in play.

The observation I’ve made is simple. “Better” isn’t always best. It is truth that “more” isn’t always better. We’ve all seen the plaque that says, “I’ve been rich and I’ve been poor. I’d rather be rich.” I am content to know that God gave me the years He has and sat me down where He wanted me to be. I cannot find it within myself to complain or expect better. I am rich in Christ and without Him we are nothing………..

Essentially Esther