<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Sunday, March 06, 2011

A PLACE CALLED HAPPINESS..... 


What does it take to make you happy? Is happiness something we take in and keep or does it ebb and flow? What is the definition of happiness? Abe Lincoln once said people are as happy as they make up their minds to be. If that is so do some of us consciously decide we don’t want to be happy? We know that isn’t so.

I can’t speak for anyone else. I only know what makes me happy. It seems to grow from a core value of contentment. Contentment coming from trust in something bigger than myself. Some of the people I know have had a lifetime of tragedy in everything from sickness to job loss. Every time they almost get up something else happens to knock them down again. We all know people like that. Through no fault of their own they are dragged down time after time.

Some people grow stronger with adversity while others fold up and quit trying. Perhaps that is you and perhaps it is me. Day in and day out we have opportunities to one way or the other……how do we face up to them? It seems to me a lot of bad things happen to good people while a lot of good things happen to bad people. There is something won or lost with every day we live……and once gone, it is gone forever.

It’s important to make good choices and then if we get lost on the way it should become a tool in how to prevent it happening again. Some things are not meant to get better no matter how much we may try. The key idea is to try our best and what we can’t overcome is meant for us to carry until we can. Down the road somewhere, sometime there is a reason.

The happiest people I know are ones who have pretty much gone through Hell and back. For one thing it sure gives fresh appreciation for what is left of the foray. No matter if it is a war injury or an accident on the job, a child born with handicaps, or whatever the reason may be there is always some good to fall back on. We never know what some folks we meet have traveled through or overcome.

For me, the small everyday things bring happiness. Watching the birds at the feeders, the beauty of God’s handiwork when I step outside or visiting with family and friends which is what the blogger world provides for me. The freedom old age brings. I’m content with what I have, who I am and where I am.

Most seniors I know are living alone, many with family far away and they are proud to be able to fend for themselves. God is a constant companion for it is He who provides the will to continue on, lift a helping hand and provide the happiness I’ve been talking about. He made us to be happy through thick and thin. I’m a living example of His indulgence.

Essentially Esther