<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, August 20, 2010

LOVEY THE BRAVE..... 


Lovey was the cat who ran into the lobby of the Troop G Headquarters and ended up in a box by the door. Becky, ever the one to find a solution to a problem, called me, told me the poor cat had come to work in the back of a pick-up and was scared half to death. (No wonder with everyone trying to catch her to put her in a box.) I’d be scared too. Long story short……I brought her home and put her in Chevy’s cage. I hung around to see who would blink first. After a long stare-down, they each found a corner and stayed put. The look on Cali’s face told me how she felt about another cat coming into her domain. Not too good.

I was afraid Lovey might give Chevy a bad time since he was just a kitten and everything looked like fun to him. Fun to Lovey was not having her tail pounced on. As I wrote previously, they were allowed out of the cage for a few days and then we opened the door to a big new world.

Looking in a cat book at the Vet’s I learned Lovey was a “blue Russian.” She was more aloof than Chevy or Cali. I think she was having trouble adapting to her new home and feeling included with the other two cats. She was usually off to herself somewhere but she still wanted to see what was going on. Lovey was more suspicious and ran off any time we tried to pet or be affectionate towards her. As time went on she became more trusting and worked into a routine with the other two.

Even yet, she prefers to be doing her own thing and is a fearsome female if anyone tries to pick a fight. I will be writing about the other two strays who came, one of which was ignorant of the respect Lovey deserves. The other evening I was walking Mandy and all the cats were following along until one of the new strays decided to pick a fight with Lovey. He advanced towards her with a half-turned body, giving her the leering look of impending danger. She threw herself down and rolled slightly on her side with ears back, screaming like a Banshee Indian. Her mouth was open with teeth showing and by now her claws were like a pair of vises just itching to dig into him.

He wasn’t feeling so tough with the unexpected reaction and the other cats had stopped their wandering to see how it was all going to turn out. He was losing face and she was giving him no ground to retreat on. Ever the peacemaker, I intervened but couldn’t resist giving a look in Lovey’s direction and saying, “Lovey, that was beautiful. You are some cat!”

I really admire someone or something that won’t be walked on and I just can’t feel pity for a coward………….

Essentially Esther