<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, July 01, 2010

SUMMER GARDENING..... 



.......... is hot, unending and a time-stealer. For some reason I am married to my flowers this year and spend much of my time outside. The one picture is the garden in May……the other is today, July, and it’s in transition. You really find out who the wimps are and those hardy enough to keep going. Spring flowers are delicate and need to be enjoyed early because any little weather change can send them packing.

I like my flowers like my friendships. No matter what kind of weather, how much rain we do or don’t get, no special needs, just stand up to all of the above and stand tall. I definitely admire determination, effort and seeing things through. I like my friends that way and I try to be a friend that way.

I spent the morning cutting out the Missouri wild ferns from my garden. They don’t like hot dry weather and that’s what we have a lot of right now. They turn brown and after so long, they come back. I pulled out lots of poison ivy and garden “want to be’s”….the wild violets move in any place that’s vacated…….they will grow back but I keep them pulled out as long as I can.

I planted Cosmos to put on my cards when they bloom. There are many bright colors and will work in nicely with the other blossoms I have. My card friend is a garden lady also. We trade plants and blooms back and forth. Many of mine are from family…..Rocky bought rose plants for our wedding anniversary once and he liked Hen and Chicks so my neighbor gave me a good start of them. It’s fun to watch the progress of plants…..this spring my hens started having little chicks. They look so cute in the container but I’m going to have to put them in something bigger with all the babies coming. Women have shared flowers back and forth in the act of friendship for all ages….and when I’m working in the garden I feel surrounded by those dear old friends and family members.

One thing I know, unless you are a gardener you just don’t relate. It is not the hard work it seems……for when you love what you’re doing it isn’t work, it’s fun.

Essentially Esther