<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, June 04, 2010

MY GARDEN OF EDEN..... 


It has been a long time since I’ve gone to a nursery for new plants but this week provided a perfect opportunity. My friend knew of a McVicker Nursery which was about a 45-minute drive from here. Since retirement, 13-years ago, I have had most of the common varieties in shrubs and flowers but I was ready for something different.

I have a cousin whose surname is McVicker and runs a Nursery in Nebraska. I’m not sure if it’s landscaping only but at any rate the names and business’ are similar. I almost expected Mark to come out of the building.

The owners were helpful to explain the needs of things I selected which was a big help when I planted them later. I’m enjoying quite a few different varieties and have several other things I plan to try next year. I am attracted to things that require little care and bloom a lot. It isn’t always the ultra-care varieties that lend the most color or blooms…….some overlooked common flowers have a lot of both to offer.

Wandering around the many trays of flowers on a pretty Spring day is therapeutic. My friend was taken with the many birdhouses the owner builds and were displayed on a tall shelf. With the blooming trees around them it was a Kodak moment but neither of us brought a camera. Once we were each home, my friend emailed Mrs. McVicker to ask if she would take a picture and email it to her. She thought I would like to have it to put in my blog some day. It is so timely and pretty I’m putting it in today.

As we wandered around the tables there were butterflies everywhere and birds constantly singing. It was a an hour or so of pure bliss. They gave my friend several trays of small violets because they were overgrown in the pots and she didn’t want them to be thrown out……..there was a chance if we planted them they might produce again. She was right ! We cut the blooms off to dry and put on our cards…..then cut the long growth off and they got new life and are now blooming again. Seeing green stems and leaves producing such beautiful blooms is rewarding beyond description.

God is easily found in a flower garden……….

Essentially Esther