<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, June 14, 2010

COMPARITIVELY SPEAKING..... 


Life as I have always known it is like a spot on the rear-view mirror as I speed away into each tomorrow. I see and hear sounds and words that were foreign in the 30’s. Debt was something my parents didn’t worry about because if they didn’t have the money, they didn’t buy. Debt today has almost ruined our country.

As each decade came and went the intensity of change was everywhere. Women became an important factor in employment. Baby-sitters were family members-only or the kids were drug along to a boring evening with their parent’s friends. When I was old enough to baby-sit I earned 25-cents an hour. An outrageous amount of money. When I worked in a small diner I got a 25-cent tip…..once. People weren’t able to tip for much of anything. That quarter was the same pay as an hours work in the diner so it seemed huge.

I see our country writhing with pain as all the factions become more vocal. I try to keep up with the daily news……local and national. There is little to feel encouraged about but yet there is a lot we can offer that is good. Things that do not cost money but are high on personal levels. There is always someone that needs something. If it is in our power to help, we should. What it boils down to is the giving of our time……richer than money. It doesn’t have to be grandiose……just a little of our time for something or someone in need.

In my own life it seems I attract cats. I made a choice to help lost, hungry cats. I guess the good Lord thought it was an acceptable service so He has sent many to my care. I ended up with a peacock who understands and appreciates me. Over the six years he has been around we talk the same language. He loves company and will find me in the yard no matter what I’m doing. The cats love to have me outside also. It’s just something to amuse them and make them feel connected to whatever I’m doing. This evening I was up to Becky’s for supper and while we were eating, my five cats were in a little group in George’s lot…….they had all followed to see where Mandy and I were going.

This picture was taken by a friend from my front porch. It shows the loss of feathers on his right side but he’s made the best of it and struts around with half the feathers he should have. Making do with what we’ve been given is pretty much the way it is for all of us. At least it seems to make me feel better to overcome what could be a problem. At my age, being a problem solver is advantageous.

That’s a story for another day…….

Essentially Esther