<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, April 12, 2010

FAREWELL TO HAROLD..... 


I came into the Rockenbach family late. I had been a widow four years. A strange twist of fate brought Rocky into my life again at a school reunion and long story short, we were both widowed and the rest is history. High school sweetheart’s, still.

Rocky was the baby of the family with a big brother Richard and big sister, Marie. The Rockenbach “kids” made a habit to get together somewhere for a reunion every year. They would decide on a point of interest and meet for a few days to touch base with one another.

I had known his brother and sister from years past when they came back to our area during summer break from college. It wasn’t difficult to pick up our friendship after Rocky and I married……..and meeting a couple of times a year kept me up on the family tree.

Marie was the eldest and married Harold Theerman. Richard was the middle child and married a lady named Helen with a Greek name I can’t even pronounce, let alone spell. (Forgive me, Helen.) Rocky and I had six years together before cancer took him after a hard battle.

Sadly, Marie’s husband, Harold, died last week and his memorial service was this past Saturday in St. Louis. Harold was the kind of guy that didn’t talk a lot but when he said something we all listened. He had the ability to be very much a part of everything without drawing attention to himself. I rarely saw him without a smile on his face.

He adored his wife and they totally put one another first in everything. Living all those years together made it easy to know exactly a need or preference. They went together like salt and pepper……can’t have one without the other. They were both professional people who gave back to their community and kept in touch with family and friends. They had a full life together and I don’t care if a marriage is long or short……when you lose the one who makes your life complete it is a huge loss.

It is good to remember when we see a sunset, a sunrise is beginning some other place. Harold was a sweet, sweet man and he left the world a better place by being in it. I shall miss him greatly………..

Essentially Esther