<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, April 19, 2010

BIRDS ARE MADE TO FLY..... 


A week ago today Napoleon encountered some sort of accident which is effecting his right leg. I noticed he stayed under the ornamental grass in the berm most of Monday. It’s one of his favorite places to doze yet see what’s going on. He flew up in the tree that night and I didn’t notice anything different.

The next morning he was already down from the tree and standing on the left leg with the right leg pulled tight to his body when I checked on him. He enjoyed the sun and did some grooming…..then hopped on the left foot to the berm. He stayed there all day. That night he flew up in the tree at sundown and I am relieved when I know he’s up there.

Later that night when I had Mandy out for her walk the motion light came on and Napoleon was laying next to the house in the gravel. I assume he lost his footing on the branch and fell…..then couldn’t see to get back up. Under normal circumstances he flies to the lower branch and then works his way up by maneuvering his long tail through the tangle of branches. He goes to bed near the top.

At any rate, there was nothing I could do but talk to him and hope for the best. The next morning I woke early to see if he made it through the night and he did. This was our pattern all week. I keep food and water where he positions himself during the day and watch to see that he is not bothered nor compromised.

How his leg was hurt, I do not know…….can’t even make a guess. If he got it caught in a fence going over or twisted it on a landing it will take 6 to 8 weeks to heal. He’s pretty smart and as long as he gets food and water…….lots of rest and TLC he has a chance.

I know a lot of you have seen or heard about Napoleon and are interested in his well-being so I’ll write of any changes one way or the other. Keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

He’s a Christian bird……………

Essentially Esther