<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

WINTER FUN..... 


When things get boring in the Ozarks we look for simple diversions. I have the prettiest, fattest squirrel population in the area. For years the bandits have come to my feeding stations (for the birds) stealing their sunflower seeds. Their young are shown where to come and the generations have come and gone.

If you read me very long you know I’m a critter lover and especially for the strays. I’ve never taken action against the squirrels because, honestly, they are as much fun as the birds……albeit in a different way. They make me laugh and shake my head. Their antics are legendary…….so recently I decided to add a little excitement.

While at the feed store buying bird feed I asked if they had any squirrel feeders. I was shown the choices and promptly picked out one with lots of action. It’s a large 3-spoke squirrel whirly so I bought it and had Dave, who is a family handyman, make it and secured it to the tree. The view from my kitchen window is like a seat at the movies.

Well, I laughed so hard at the first visitor I knew my money would give fast returns. It took a while for them to notice and then decide to have a bite of corn fastened on the three spokes. He jumped on one of the spokes which immediately gave him a circular ride spinning him around like a top. Not to be outdone he rode it around several spins and then hopped up on the small metal ledge to eat his kernel.

I almost felt like an animal abuser watching in my delight at his expense. He continued his quest and finally left. This has gone on until this morning. You know squirrels are pretty smart…..real smart. He found if he slithered down the bottom spoke, he could come and go back up without the whirling ride. With his sophistication he cracked the code and outsmarted the whirly-jig. However, as with humans, there is always a dummy somewhere who doesn’t “get it.” So I have a lot of squirrels to go before they have all tried and conquered their carnival ride.

The first visitor “paid” for the feeder. His antics of hanging on while spinning and then jumping off to the little platform was stellar. One little kernel at a time he got the ride of his life.

It’s almost sinful the way I laughed at him !!

Essentially Esther