<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

TIMES GONE BY..... 


Wow! We had a heat wave here today. It was almost up to freezing. The birds have not been to the feeders as much with the break in the weather. I don’t know how the little guys make it through such terrible conditions but they do.

I’m getting ready for Rocky’s brother and wife who are coming on Thursday. It’s been a while since we’ve seen them and we’re looking forward to them coming. The rest of the week looks pretty good so travel shouldn’t be a problem.

I’m enjoying the football playoffs. Anything can happen in a game and I don’t care how good a team is sometimes the best of them fall err to defeat. Competitive sports is wonderful entertainment for me. The Olympics will begin when football is over and then American Idol goes on until late Spring. Television brings events right in the living room of which we’d never be able to see otherwise. Television is a love-hate tool because so much of it isn’t worth watching (as far as I’m concerned) but there is a lot of good.

Computers bring people together instantly much like the old calls we used to make. When I was first married and living in a small town everyone knew everyone else. The ladies who worked the switch boards would chat with you when you made a call. It seems funny now, much like the Andy Griffith Show. I would pick up the receiver and the operator would ask “what number please” and I would say “Well, hi there, Mary, how are you?” and she would reply and then I’d ask her to call Mary Lou for me. I used to watch them work the boards when I paid the bill. You did that in person. No PC to send it and no postage required, just stop in and hand it to them.

A lot of people say the “good old days” were not so good but I am the opposite. Times were no harder than they are now……just different. I still think about a little town where you could walk anywhere you needed to go. Main Street, USA. Friday night high school football games, softball, folks sitting on the front porch and everyone waved, honked, yelled, or whistled when they passed by.

Life was slower and more courteous. We talked and listened but not at the same time. Life is a personal journey and we each find our own path. I have no complaints…….I’ve enjoyed every step of the way.

Essentially Esther