<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, December 21, 2009

'TIS THE SEASON..... 


In case you are wondering…….I’m still here. It seems in December I never get through writing Christmas cards. I still have a few to get out and hopefully that will be tomorrow. I have to confess I watch a lot of football as the college and pro games heat up for the last hurrah.

Bad weather makes keeping the bird feeders full more difficult. Today I put up a bird feeder a friend made for me. It’s about a 4-inch branch and about a foot or so long. She drilled six holes in it to put peanut butter in and a hook and hanger to throw over a branch. Six nails made perches for them to sit and eat the peanut butter out of the holes. Pretty smart. She’s the lady who “grows” butterflies and is quite well informed on gardening and all the backyard friends who visit the feeding stations. Retirement doesn’t mean “quitting” anything…..it just means you have more time to spend enjoying the little folks who dine in your yard.

I made a Christmas Cake delivery this morning to the Vet who cares for my pets. Several years ago I made up a cookie tray and put some slices of the cake on in case somebody might like it. The young Vet who graduated from Missouri University a few years ago found the cake to be delightful. He ate it all and raved about it, so of course he has had a cake of his own every year. He’s a nice young man and the girls who do the grooming etc; are loved by my animals.

I love this time of year where I can walk in my mother’s footsteps to carry on her traditions of baking and candy making……then to shuttle all over town to drop in and leave some goodies. Mom always made holidays special out of nothing but love. Like most people I find the memories of home more intense around Christmas time. As the cards come in it is so nice to sit down and read about friends and relatives that I don’t normally hear from.

I’m sure many of you who read this find the same pleasures in the simple things of the season…….otherwise I don’t think there is anything else that would draw one to read this blog. My world is small and wonderfully simple. Just perfect for the woman I have become.

I hope your world is just right for you and that the new year will bring much happiness to all…..and now I’m going to see if I can find a picture you might like to post with the blog. Soon the holidays will be over and I’m going to try and be more regular with my writing again because I miss it. I truly do. Until the next time,

Essentially Esther