<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

GRATITUDE IS POWERFUL..... 


After a weekend of football and a trip to the dentist on Monday I have been slowly trying to get the clutter out. When the housewife gets sick there is no one to take over the mundane. Thanks to Becky I didn’t have to worry about food. I think I’ve put on a few pounds sitting in a wheelchair and eating like a king….(or queen).

I was able to pull my trash cart to the curb for the first time since this all began. A small feat but a victory for me. I’ve been letting the cats out of the garage in the mornings which frees Becky up. I’ve taken up most of the chores anyone has had to do for me. Never one to be pent up for a time I now know what a blessing it is to be able to get out of bed and have a normal day. It’s stuff we know but from the outside. From the inside looking out my compassion for family and friends who have health issues……has grown even more.

I have always been the care-giver and know the position well. Being a care-receiver is new ground. All the time I was helping family or friends, it was a blessing to me. To receive help is a different thing altogether. I doubt my experience is unlike anyone else’s who has found themselves unable to function. It’s amazing how grateful you can be for the smallest gesture.

With my personality and experience of doing for others I was always thinking……“they don’t have time for this, maybe I could do “this” by myself.” I felt guilt over all and that is not a good recovery mechanism. I still have much to learn about being a patient but I will put that off as long as I can.

Let me just say it’s good to be able to think about what I can do instead of what I can’t do. And let me say how thankful I am that God can fix His creations. After all, He made the original design so He definitely knows how to fix anything that goes wrong. I know a day will come, though I know not when, He will tenderly draw me to Him and I will be forever healed.

Essentially Esther