<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

GOODBYE WHEELCHAIR......BUT.... 


Today’s picture is of son George’s berm. It has changed amazingly from the early Spring flowers to a Fall landscape of beauty. I thought I’d share it with my blog readers.


It has been a while since I’ve written so I’d better get busy here. Almost noon where I am and that just gives me a half-day to do the things that need attention. Becky was off for a 4-day stretch over Columbus day and we had a lot going. After not being able to make it down to Harrison to re-stock our booths and showcases we finally made the effort.

My garage is showing more space as I’ve been going through many of the totes and getting rid of some things. I’ve hung on to many of my mother’s things because I couldn’t emotionally part with them. Knowing how much she loved them all it seems hard-hearted to either burn, toss in the dumpster, sell or give away. I know my love for her and her love for me does not encompass the contents of those totes but I find it hard to part with them.

She had a little brown folding file of recipes. For years she clipped them out of the newspaper, magazines, wrote them down on anything handy and is a testimony of what my mother was about. That file holds much of mom’s time over the years. Cooking and baking for the family, visitors, neighbors or someone across town who was sick was a big part of her life.

No matter the “cleaning out” attempts over the years I can’t bring myself to get rid of those special things. The recipes have changed over time and the manner of preparation. The paper has yellowed but still offers up evidence of being used. Who combines shortening and sugar until well blended by hand? Who uses the old-time egg beater which was turned by hand until a frosting was thickened or eggs were whipped until they stood in peaks and put onto a cream pie? Boiled icings were lovingly done by hand from beginning to end. Directions for recipes now are a far cry from the days my mother cooked.

On a different note, I heard from my PA and the X-ray shows the fracture isn’t entirely healed yet. She called yesterday and said I no longer needed the wheel-chair but to divide my time between the walker and walking without it. I guess it’s a “good news, bad news” kind of thing. However, I have no problem using the walker as I tire after so long…… and the assumption is I will be able to go longer periods without it. There isn’t anything else to be done ……and those who have gone through this tell me by being careful it is not a problem. Okey Dokey! No worry, no problem………

Essentially Esther