<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, September 28, 2009

OUTSIDE MY WINDOW..... 


The wind is blowing the decorative grass outside my window and it continues to dance in all directions. It takes me a while to get used to a new trend in plantings but after all the years of not having the ornamental grasses I suddenly fell in love with them. I think for one thing they require no care and grow profusely, giving a nice background for the showier plants.

With three cats who love to play in the broader leafed one it’s good to have something they can’t destroy. I had to use Rocky’s tomato protectors and a plastic netting around the Japanese Maple tree to keep them out of it. Now it has grown a lot in the past year after coming up volunteer from the roots because, of course, they killed it. The pretty purple color isn’t there anymore but at least I have a tree again.

The fact it came back at all made me happy. There will be no removing the webbing around it now for the leaves have grown through it and the branches continue beyond. Why expensive plants can’t make it with all the tender loving care given them…….and then when weed killer is used undiluted on the driveway, grass grows up in no time at all. I think weeds have grown a defense against noxious killers.

Well, I didn’t intend having a discussion about the above but I’m going on the 5th week of being more or less isolated. My world has been somewhat like that of the house cats……looking out the windows and contenting myself with the world within. I do get outside but not for long and not very far. I keep telling my fracture to heal so “we” can begin life as we’ve always known it.

……or not. Once I’m up and about I think I shall begin with the dust on the blinds, mopping the laminate floors and clearing the clutter that had to be wheel-chair height for easy access. I have never taken life or health for granted and I have been blessed with both for a long time…….but now I know why I never took it for granted.

Essentially Esther