<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, September 25, 2009

LIFE IS A BOWL OF CHERRIES..... 


Today I have been off my feet four weeks. I called my doctor to see what she had in mind and was told I’d better give it another two weeks. I wasn’t surprised as I anticipated her answer but I wanted some indication how much longer I’d have to use the wheel-chair and walker.

So now that I know, I have something to look forward to. She intends having another X-ray at the end of two weeks to see if it has healed properly or at all. Considering I’ve had no pain since I got off my feet I think I am healing. I am told older people heal slower but I am a healthy old person so I think I have that in my favor. I guess we’ll find out.

Meanwhile, I’m an expert on several networks…….mainly the NFL, the History Channel, Cooking, Travel and several movie channels. It keeps me thinking in word form because when you’re alone 95% of the time it becomes harder to think in terms of conversation.

The critters have had to get used to my new form of walking. When I came through the door with a walker the three inside “kids” stared at me and kept their distance. If I walked in their direction they scattered in all directions. Likewise when I went to put the outside cats in the garage they were afraid of me. My voice won them over and although I looked like me it was the voice that brought them in. It made me think of something Jesus said one time…… “My sheep know my voice.”

I am still knitting and making cards, spending time at the computer and keeping in touch with the outside world. There is a favorite saying around that “Old age ain’t for sissies.” I can verify that because friends of mine have had traumas to work around and they did it with grace. The way I see it, you can get all riled up and kick against the traces or it can become a time to stop and smell the roses.

Some have hobbies, some like organizations that keep them on the go and some do worthwhile projects. I have a high-school friend who is widowed, her eyesight is deteriorating from some process I don’t understand……but she continually crochets afghans for children in local hospitals to cheer them up.

Her sight is so bad I have to email her with print size at 18. She crochets two different patterns from memory because she can no longer read directions. She is thrilled to have library availability for “talking books.” She listens to tapes while she crochets and is so happy for the opportunity. We were high-school best friends and I am so proud of her. Complaining is just not in her vocabulary.

I am surrounded by folks who are great examples of courage in tough situations. Sadly, some of them are gone now, but they left an indelible mark on me. In so doing, they live within the best part of me.

Essentially Esther