<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, July 06, 2009

WHEN ICE REALLY COUNTS..... 


One never knows what the day will bring. I’ve been bothered with a sciatic nerve problem. At first it was like a mild bruise and I ignored it for the most part. For quite a while I could overlook it except when I sat for any length of time or stood for long periods.

Of course I rationalized it wasn’t a serious thing……I got my doctor book out and read about the sciatic nerve and it seemed it would go away in due time. Due time has a puzzling explanation. My doctor book was printed in 1989.…..can you imagine the changes in medicine since 1989? And what is “due time?”

The past two weeks have doled out pain I can’t ignore any longer. I’m tired of giving in to the right lower back and hip because it just plain hurts. Any movement from either leg makes the right one hurt worse. Doing anything makes it hurt worse. Now I’m a very stubborn person and I don’t like to be dictated to by a nerve but I threw the towel in this morning.

After a miserable Sunday, I woke this morning with a mission. I called for an appointment with my doctor and then a friend had a chiropractor she highly recommended. I called him and was in his office @ 10:00 AM. Believe me if you called to tell me a witch doctor would work, I’d be on the phone the minute we hung up. I was making tracks like Jonah after the whale spit him up.

The chiropractor took an X-ray and said I had very little bone loss and everything looked good. He did his snap, crackle and pop and told me to keep ice on the places that hurt. Around 2 ½ hours a day…..in intervals of 20 minutes on ice, 20 minutes off, then 20 minutes of the ice again. Repeat a couple times a day to take the swelling out and help the pain. It works…..not perfect yet but it’s helping.

So I will be doing the ice thing until Friday morning at 9:00 AM when I see the chiropractor again. It’s up all the way from here…..I’ll keep you posted.

Essentially Esther