<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

MORE BUTTERFLIES AND MORE PEACHES, TOO..... 



As I write at 8:00 AM it is dark with rain coming soon. The rest of the week is to be the same. It’s OK……it's been the best July weather I can remember. Gardens and pastures have flourished so the cattle and I are happy. A couple of my friends have ample produce right out of the patch and brought to me, cleaned and ready for cooking. I won’t send the names or address because I’m selfish. She, on the other hand, is very generous. I have gardened in my life and it is hot, hard work. To say nothing of getting dirty. That happens because gardens are planted in dirt.

I have another half bushel of peaches to fix for freezing. I can begin to slow down as yesterday was a real marathon to get everything ready for company dinner last night and today George comes in for a couple of days. Naturally, Mom’s home cooking will be the entertainment……

As promised here are another two pictures from the Butterfly Palace trip. The camera doesn’t do them justice but in some way I hope you find them interesting. Meanwhile I’m going to work at making a cherry pie for son, George. His favorite.

Tomorrow will be a peach cobbler. I’ve never had such beautiful peaches to prepare for the freezer. They are large, juicy, good color, easy to peel, and best of all…..the taste is excellent. The local fruit producer picks them right off the trees for you so how fresh and good do you think they are? There used to be large peach orchards all over the area but now you have to find them through friends and word of mouth. The provider of peaches looks to be in good health so I should have years of peaches to enjoy down the road. I consider that a blessing.

Many years ago I had a wonderful older friend who always said, “peachy keeny”……I’ve never heard anyone else say that but whenever I look at a peach in the face, she is the one I think of.

Have a happy Tuesday wherever you are……and whoever you are……

Essentially Esther