<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

THEN AND NOW..... 


I’ve had a week off and it went too fast. I told myself I’d take a little time and let my brain unwind. I guess I let it unwind too much as I lost my last set of keys to the mini-van and had to have a locksmith come to my rescue. Silly me! How did I know it would be so expensive? Becky’s house and car keys were on my key-ring so she isn’t exactly happy about that, either.

I haven’t had any need for a locksmith in my whole life (and that’s quite a while) and I did the unthinkable….yes, I told him what I wanted without asking prices. Of course, I only needed the keys and remote but I didn’t know the keys would have a micro-chip in them which is more money, I would have to pay for a “test” key just to get into the car and then the micro-chips would start the car. A safety factor.

Unbelievable!! From now on I’m going to wear these keys like jewelry. The price of things never balances with my expectations. I think a lot of it is that I’m still living in the world as I’ve always known it…..I take good care of things so I rarely have any reason for repairs. In my defense “knowing” wouldn’t have made much difference…..I had to have the keys. The remote was an option but cheaper than the keys.

I can remember taking my poor little mother to the grocery store. We would go up and down the isles looking for something she needed but when we found it, she was astonished at the price and her comment was always…….. “I can remember when bread was only 12 cents a loaf,” or “I can’t believe they want that much for a dozen eggs.” Now I see I’m falling into the same position….believe me, the world is nothing like I grew up in and as far as I’m concerned, we lost the best part of “what was.” Now I understand how mom felt. What has happened to our world???

So!! As Mr. Peabody says, that is the moral of the story….. (and no, I don’t think kids know who Mr. Peabody is.)

Factor in we’ve had a week of rain, I’m choked up with pollen and Mandy has chewed off most of her hair with allergies. All the meds and TLC have done zippo. So to over-ride the above, Becky and I are leaving for a long weekend with George tomorrow so we will soak up big city life for a few days and come home on Sunday.

To the ladies with children, I wish you a very happy Mother’s Day. To the men, I hope some of her day rubs off on you…..happiness has a way of spreading, and we all owe them gratitude for carrying us around in a bubble nine months and then….. the rest of their lives.

Where would we be without our Mom’s?

Essentially Esther