<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, April 02, 2009

APRIL FEATHERS AND FLOWERS..... 



I snapped this picture of Napoleon this morning when he wanted his picture taken. He fluffed up for me for 15-minutes and the big ham kept posing. I have about a dozen shots of him but this is the best, I think. The other is of early spring flowers in the garden and they are most welcome. The red-buds are about to break out in full bloom and then I will take those for “show and tell.”

The day after the funeral (Sunday) an amazing thing happened. The weather had been so bad on Saturday there were no friends or neighbors from the old neighborhood. Quite a few kids who were in school together, then Scouts, first jobs, etc; bought property back where they grew up, sort of a second generation community. Our own George bought property a couple of blocks up the street from where we used to live.

Well, all of a sudden on Sunday with decent weather, we had visitors all over the place. Long time friends of ours who used to live across the street surprised us by driving up from Emporia. It had been a long time since we’d seen them and it was great.

It’s kind of strange to see the “kids” I knew, as middle-aged with families of their own, some even grandparents. Wasn’t I their age just yesterday? Where have almost 77-years gone?

It was such a nice time to reminisce about days gone by and George Sr. would have been proud of the young people who came to give their respect. We never know the lives we touch while living. My mother had a verse over her cedar chest that read: “Give me my flowers while I live for I shall not pass this way again.” She acted on it faithfully through many kind acts to others.

I think most of us remember the last time we see someone when we learn of their passing. It is my habit to tell family and friends I love them as we part. If I never make the next visit I would like them to remember me that way…..a loving farewell.

Essentially Esther