<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Sunday, March 08, 2009

TORNADO TIME..... 


Mid morning with skies blue and sunny we received a report for severe thunderstorms and possible tornadoes. I dismissed it until I heard a loud thunder-clap and went to the door to check it out. Was this a sonic boom or thunder? I doubted myself since the sky was clear and forgot about it.

A little later I was outside and by then the sky was black to the northwest of us. Against the blue sky the advancing storm looked ominous. I decided to bring some things in from the garage before it began raining. That’s where I was when Becky came running and said there was a tornado spotted 7-miles west of Cabool. That meant we were in the direct path of it.

I dropped what I was doing and ran to the house to get Mandy….Becky grabbed Sassy and I came back for Punkin. The outside cats took notice of the high wind and dark sky and came running to the garage.

The chilling sound of the tornado siren went off and kept sounding throughout the high wind and rain. The fury lasted about 15-minutes and almost as fast as it came up it blew over. We were spared any damage and are most grateful. The tornado season is in full swing so this is just the first of many such events until the seasons settle down.

In the mid-west when the warm gulf air meets the Canadian jet stream over us we are more or less “sitting ducks.” As temperatures become more stationary the threat is not as great. This is a “file” picture and not taken from our morning storm however our sky definitely was as dark. Thankfully the tornado was aloft when it went over here.

Not my idea of a nice Sunday morning.

Essentially Esther