<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, January 22, 2009

PRO AND CON..... 


In reading what I wrote yesterday it might seem that I’m slamming small town living. That would be a NO. There is a huge difference between the two and at this time of my life I prefer “small town”………..I think cities are for the young in heart. People who crave entertainment and excitement. They don’t mind crowds and drive on the main arteries around the city at breakneck speed.

My son, George, did most of the driving and after we weaved in and out of lanes over the posted speed limits and we came near to an accident several times my son had an ongoing conversation about the “other” drivers. I have decided that is the right of the person behind the wheel. It is much the same with me when I’m driving. When I am a passenger I’m content to enjoy the “view” so to speak. Traffic is not my focus unless I am driving.

Going back where I lived for 13 years is bitter-sweet. To see where the city has expanded over the farmlands I once knew, with more people, more buildings and more traffic is sad. Concrete covering prime soil is everywhere…….and the wildlife that roamed free is seeing their habitat shrink each day.

It is fun to go to the city for a visit…..but as they say….I wouldn’t want to live there. The slow pace, being retired and able to spend each day as I like is much better served where I live. It has been my home since 1971 and I have observed seedlings that have grown into mighty oaks, strangers who became friends and lots of kitties who needed a home. The journey has been exceptional and I wouldn’t change a thing.

It is possible to live happily in either place. The difference is choice and opportunity. Sometimes we end up in one place or the other and wonder “why” but in the big picture we can see the reason. Where once we are destined to be on the great world stage it is a relief to get off the fast track and find contentment in the small things of life.

This picture was emailed to me yesterday from George who captured a beautiful sunset from his back yard. Having time to watch the skies on a new canvas every day is a blessing……..and the stars at night with a full moon are awe inspiring. The rainbows, the clouds or the Northern lights are ever changing above us. In every aspect God is showing us his glory and beauty…….his universe open for all.

Essentially Esther