<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED..... 


I’m happy to say the flooring is finished. Tom put in a 9-hour day yesterday and did an excellent job. I have decided it ranks right up there with moving. So much has to be moved before, during and after……..I didn’t stop to think that everything on each floor had to come up and out. If you know me very well, you understand what I’m talking about…..I have lots and lots of “stuff.” However, I am taking care of that and most of it will not go back. I am finding housework takes more time and longer when you’re in the golden years.

Though I have been busy remodeling (yet) I have taken breaks to listen to the news. History is being made and believe me, if you’re a news hound (and I am) there is a lot going on that needs our attention. How one man could get away with over 50-billion dollars of his friends money…….and other people who trusted him, can still be allowed to live in his own penthouse. How bad can house arrest be like that? I am saddened at the amount of debauchery and permissiveness in our country. It seems to be open season to grab all you can from the other guy, regardless of the consequences……and many times….there are no consequences.

I recently received a letter from a friend who used to live next door to us. It was long ago but we tried to stay in touch though our lives took us miles apart. When I didn’t get a Christmas card this year I thought maybe they had gone to visit their children over the holidays and would write when they were home again. Sadly, the letter from her husband told me that Beverly died last September….although she had some health issues she died suddenly and un-expectantly. It was, of course, a terrible shock to the family.

As my Christmas card list grows shorter and shorter each year it means the loss of another friend or relative. I’ve read articles about people not being able to remove any names from a list for sentimental reasons……I am the same. I have phone numbers on my cell-phone I do not erase and three address books with old friends and family names long gone. There is the comfort of knowing they were in my life for a while and will never be forgotten. The down side of a long life is that eventually you are the only one left but if you are there is much that can still be done to make you life and other’s worthwhile.

I love the words I read once….“Old age ain’t for sissies”

Back to the floors, I see the downside to them is the prospect of running a Swiffer over them constantly. Yup!! You guessed it!! I have darkish floors but they are beautiful and worth it. I do so love a change. It gives me incentive and that’s a good thing.

Essentially Esther