<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, January 15, 2009

BRRRRRRRRRRR..... 


Our area is more fortunate than most for winter weather but still, last night was the coldest temperature since 2003 so it was a three dog night. In my case, two cats and a dog. I am amazed at the amounts of snow we see on the weather map for states all along the northern part of the country.

It has to take a terrible toll on people who have no where to go or for the ones who must work outside. The pile-ups on the nations major highways is rising and thankfully there haven’t been fatalities in the number one might expect.

Becky and I will be driving to visit George tomorrow, returning on Monday. Becky is always delighted when she can manage a 4-day weekend out of one day’s vacation time. Being retired over 11-years now it is no longer necessary to ration those days out with an eye-dropper anymore. Winter weather like we are experiencing certainly makes one happy to be retired.

Napoleon is nestled down in the leaves outside my window like a hen on a nest. The feet of a peacock are the most vulnerable in winter so he smartly snuggles in and warms them. I worry about him while I am gone but hopefully he will make it. I am the only one who feeds him so he will be on his own. He grazes throughout the day after a hand-out from me and again before he flies up in the big oak for the night. If he thinks it’s time to eat he peers in the window and bobs around until I see him. He has me pretty well trained.

This is a piece I copied from one of Ellen’s blogs because it was so meaningful. I still miss her charm and wit. She was one of a kind.

When you come to the edge of all you know,
You must believe in one of two things:
There will be earth on which to stand,
Or you will be given wings.

Essentially Esther