<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, December 15, 2008

OH MANDY..... 


Mandy is having surgery today. She began squinting with her right eye and it watered a lot so off to the Vet we went. It’s a common thing with dogs I guess for an eyelid to turn under and thereby the lashes keep brushing against the eye. She has not been her usual bouncy self so I was happy the Vet found a reason for it.

Mandy has been a good little dog especially since she figured out the run of things around here. She takes turns eating with the cats and has learned not to run them off from their bowls. Once the kitty leaves her place then Mandy is allowed to finish what they left. My observation is that cats are not as gluttonous as dogs.

We had our blast of weather after two days of wind and dark skies. It was misty all afternoon yesterday and began raining and turning to ice after bedtime. It is very slick so when I go out for any reason I give the ice the respect it requires. The week ahead looks pretty much the same.

Tomorrow I plan to make my Christmas Nut Cakes to give to friends and family. I only make them this time of year so it’s a long time to wait for the next one. The recipe comes from Barbara’s mother and is a great Southern tradition. I always think of her while I mix, stir and bake. Sadly, Barbara’s mother died the same year my mother did.

We had to postpone our Christmas dinner with Holly and family because of the weather. We will try again next Sunday and hope we are able to come together. It is a 3-hour drive from here so it is too risky when freezing rain and ice are predicted.

Hopefully all of your plans are coming together and the weather behaves where you are. Next week will be the observance of Christmas and a time to take notice of who Christmas is really for. Christ came to a world that was corrupt and evil and for those who longed for peace.

The message has been the same over centuries………..

Essentially Esther