<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, September 15, 2008

WE DON'T LIKE IKE..... 

I used to have a campaign button that read, “We Like Ike” but now with the disastrous hurricane I’m thinking not. Once upon a time it was quite the motto for anything pertaining to President Eisenhower. For some reason I keep thinking of that slogan and it doesn’t fit the latest tragedy coming out of the Gulf.

However, getting back to the subject at hand, I’m taking roll-call to see how many of you are high and dry across the country. I was amazed how quickly Ike blew in and out of our area. It appeared here around 3:00 on Sunday morning, waking everyone I talked to, including me. Because we are in such a wooded area you can hear the wind coming through the trees with a frightening roar. Straight wind can sound as scary as a tornado for I have experienced both.

I decided to get up and look around and I lad large branches down in the front yard with bunches of leaves everywhere. After a good look I went back to bed and by 6:00 AM it was deduced to rain. We didn’t get near the rain that folks did in other areas but it was an impressive rain to watch. Falling straight down out of the sky to whatever was below……..by mid-morning it was over. We had lost power for several hours but it wasn’t a great inconvenience…..

The television coverage of the mess Ike left behind was/is amazing. I cannot imagine the actual condition from the fleeting sights we see but I’m sure folks wouldn’t know where to start when the whole neighborhood is gone. How does one even find his own property lines? The immense job ahead for all the rescue people is mind-boggling and the job they had getting people to safety who stayed behind receive my highest respect.

Early reports had John thinking it wasn’t going to affect them much but we haven’t been able to connect with them yet. Hopefully everything is OK….his last blog was Thursday the 11th so I don’t know if it means anything or not.

Waiting and wondering…….

Essentially Esther