<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, September 04, 2008

FOOTBALL BEGINS TONIGHT..... 

Yes, I’m still here. With a son and family near New Orleans and the other son near KC I’ve had a rather busy time of it. Actually, much busier than I would have preferred.

John, Barb and LJ made it through and it was helpful that he wrote on his blog site at the conditions before, during and after the storm. Our family is a little goofy (OK) a lot goofy. We all love a good storm. We aren’t crazy or brave……it’s just something to see, feel, smell and watch the strength of something so much bigger than our own silly little worlds….. it commands us to pay attention. Between hurricanes and tornadoes it is actually liberating. We learn nothing is more important than having the basics of life……..and life itself. Anything else is just not important.

Becky and I left for KC to help George give a celebratory party of his retirement. It was nice to meet people I’ve heard him talk about over the years……some from work, some work-out buddies, neighbors and friends of long duration….just plain nice. I always enjoy seeing school chums of George and/or Becky. They seem more like family than friends…….the years have kept them and me, close.

The party took most of Saturday and Sunday was kick-back day……we just did what we wanted. We left on Monday to make the drive home and Becky did the driving back. I don’t think she was supposed to until she saw her doctor again but I had a couple of falls which shook me up pretty good. One of those deals where I wanted to test the front door to see how far it could propel me into the front yard. It had more kick than I obviously thought…..ouch!!

Then on Sunday when I was on the deck with George and our doggies I took a wrong step and ended up on the deck. It really feels pretty good when you stop sliding. So now with the eye-lid surgery and bruises up both sides I look like an early Halloween ghoul. The good thing about it all is that I have decided I do not want any tattoos.

It is always good to share in my children’s “moments” and I’d say retirement is a pretty big moment. I’m sure George is resting up after working 50 hour weeks since January I believe he said. He was smart enough to prepare for retirement so he will be able to enjoy life at his choosing.

I’ve taken a couple days off since coming home but it’s time to get back on track. I’ve been indulging the NFL 24-7 channel with all the things I love the most. Interviews and personal things about the players I never knew. I’m looking forward to the season opener tonight and each week until, alas, the season is over. I’m happy as a clam when I get to watch my favorites………GO FARVE!! I know it will be a tough adjustment for him but I know he is up to it. I’m quite sure he made the decision to come back to the game so I would quit calling and writing him.


Essentially Esther