<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, August 21, 2008

WONDER..... 

Do you ever wonder? I am a wonderer who comes from a long line of “wonderer’s.” It began with my parents……

My mom:

I wonder if the mail has come yet?
I wonder if I should get extra ice today?
I wonder if Dad will get here before supper ruins?
I wonder where Louis disappeared to? (My brother.)
I wonder if my clothes will dry on the line before it rains….
I wonder why the stove won’t heat up?
I wonder why this cup is leaking?
I wonder where I put my scissors?

My dad:

I wonder how to get this d----- boat out of the basement.
I wonder where the heck the pliers are now?
I wonder if I should fix that leak.
I wonder where Louis disappeared to? (Yes, my brother again.)
I wonder how in the heck he thinks that’s going to fix THAT!
I wonder how that ice could have melted that fast to run all over the floor.
I wonder if the battery is charged yet.

There are so many things to wonder about in life…..but to appreciate the art of wondering you would have to be a depression baby. Nothing was ever taken for granted like today so much of the wonderment has been taken out of our lives.

On rainy days like today, you would usually find my brother and me at the dining room table. It was used as the family room would be today. He would be modeling something out of clay or working on an airplane. He had such patience for anything artistic and was very good at all of it. I loved to color. When mom went down town to pay bills and stuff I always begged for a new coloring book. I had a box of crayons of every color and size…….of course, being a kid, I loved the new ones with the points.

Some days, like today, memory is so strong I could close my eyes and see it all in every detail. Those were good days and a whole lot simpler than today. When I think of home I hear people laughing, smell mom’s wonderful cooking on the stove and I step back in time to a world I didn’t realize would be so fleeting.

I wonder why time goes so fast…………

Essentially Esther