<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, August 18, 2008

GETTING IT ALL TOGETHER..... 

No matter how hard I try to ignore the fact…..Monday always follows a great weekend. It makes me wonder if the weekend would be that great if we didn’t have to work on Monday. Though retired, it seems to make a difference even in my life. George usually calls on the weekend sometime, and Becky is my every weekend. John keeps in touch during the week usually while Barb and I visit through comments on the blog, email or the phone. While I’ve driven Becky to and from work for a month, we still have another month to go.

What does that mean to me? Getting up and going to the “office” each morning seems like I’m still working too. It’s been nice to see old faces but most of those “faces” have retired and there are many new employees I don’t know. Everything is different where I used to work…….the building has a new look, new people everywhere and Driver’s Tests have changed many times over in the past 11 years.

Since Becky will be another 4-weeks before she can drive it will be a while before I can forget setting the alarm clock every night. We are both looking forward to George’s retirement party as he ends his career the 29th of August. He’s had quite a lot of changes also in 35-years. Anyone who has been employed by the State or Federal Government can attest to that. One thing you can always count on is…….yes…more changes.

I’ve watched the Olympics as much as I can and especially when I knew Michael Phelps would be swimming. He makes us all proud with his swimming abilities and medals but he’s also one great young man. I hope he can enjoy his hard earned records for years to come. His mother and sisters were equally personable.

I am happy to report I have finalized my cousin Dale’s Estate and I’m finished with that. This past Tuesday I had surgery on my eyelids from the doctor who did my cataract surgery. My eyelids were beginning to resemble Venetian blinds and bugged me a lot. Dr. Jones suggested I have them “fixed” so I did. It is amazing what they can do……quickly, no pain and you’re out the door. Of course any thing involving eye repair leaves one looking like they’ve been hit in the head with a baseball bat. The stitches will be removed August 25th. Hopefully I can meet George’s fellow workers with no bruising showing. I look pretty much like a raccoon at this time.

Seasonal changes are beginning. School started last week, the heavy Spring and Summer rains have dried up and it’s beginning to look like fall. Summer is fleeting and I don’t mind. I like Fall the best of all the seasons and since I no longer have to get out in the snow I even enjoy winter. A warm home, reading, knitting, crochet and a chance to get my new Singer out of the box to see if I can still sew. I enjoy making pillows, table runners and all that require a pretty quilt pattern. But……for now, I’d better get busy with my Monday.

Essentially Esther