<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

CATCHING UP WITH MYSELF..... 

Moving right along here……I need to catch up with family and friends. Becky is still hobbling around but on one crutch now. She does pretty well until late afternoon and then her foot and leg swell. We’ve been very busy since I last wrote but yet it’s hard to fill in the time period.

I think women truly do work from sun to sun with menial jobs that have to be done, like dusting, vacuuming, laundry and such fill up most of our days. Any age and working or retired, the housework lingers on. I’m waiting for the day to come when I no longer care about such things (as most older women do)……I’m still waiting to divorce the “house” that I seem to be married to…..

Napoleon, our resident peacock, has completely lost all his long tail feathers and it’s good as he had to walk a wide berth to turn corners with that fancy tail. He and “Little Gray” a stray cat, come to eat every day and the three kitties that I adopted but live outside were very happy to see “mama” pulling in the driveway late Sunday. They are used to being shut in the garage every night with special treats. Becky and I had another weekend at Harrison and business is booming. Of course, that makes us happy.

Sassy and Punkin’ the two inside cats met us at the door and talked for an hour telling me the hardships endured while we were gone. Cat people know that cats do not want changes in their routine. They were looking out the living room window as we pulled into the driveway and began dancing at the front door. It’s always nice to be welcomed home.

Manday, our spoiled doggie, was boarded with the Vet over the weekend and got a grooming yesterday before bringing her home. I got her all prettied up to go to KC on Friday to celebrate George’s retirement on Saturday. It will be nice to meet a lot of the folks he worked with and I’m sure they have heard about his “mom” from George in the 35 years he worked at the same place.

Retiree’s know that retiring isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. The working class has the idea that we just sit around everyday drinking coffee and watching TV. That idea is greatly over-rated. However, I’ve learned that absolutely no one listens to good advice so I will leave you to find about all that down the road somewhere.

I should have a good bit to write about once we are back from KC…..but for now I have to get ready to have the car serviced and detailed before leaving for George’s celebration. I am very proud of his ability to stay with something this long and to have made every monetary preparation for retirement. He was always one to save and look ahead. At last he can do some of the traveling he’s been looking forward to and make plans not associated with “work.” He is working his last week and when he leaves on Friday I know he will have a lump in his throat. It’s a scary thing to leave something you’ve been a part of for that long. Congratulations, George!!!

Essentially Esther