<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, July 28, 2008

LOSING AN OLD LANDMARK..... 

Becky is doing fine on her recovery from breaking her leg but tires easily and the crutches make her sore. She has tried to keep on schedule and with some effort has been able to do so. I chauffer her to work and pick her up when it’s time to come home. It has made a change from my leisurely mornings but it is only for a short time. She was able to buy a wheel-chair from a co-worker who had some to sell. She actually bought one for me also. I presume they were rather inexpensive or maybe she knows something I don’t…….how does one react when someone buys a wheel chair for you?

We were gone over the week-end. Drove down to Arkansas where our other booths are and the hills and valleys are high and deep. It is beautiful in northern Arkansas and that portion of Missouri so it is a nice change from our normal routine. After two days we were ready to make the homeward trip and since Becky can’t drive it was my job to drive both ways. We usually split the driving but Becky won’t be able to drive for several weeks yet.

I hadn’t noticed right away but when I glanced over towards the empty lot between us I could see Rocky’s old Mark IV Continental was gone. Becky had arranged for one of the Trooper’s to come and load it while we were gone. Rocky had wanted to give it to one of the Lieutenant’s he worked out with at the gym but didn’t get it done before he died. “Izzie” as everyone calls the Lieutenant wanted to restore the car to it’s original grandeur but was just now able to get someone to come and pull it to it’s new home. Rocky would be pleased to know one day it will be riding the highways again.

When you lose a loved one you lose so much more than you could ever imagine. The things that are left undone to the accomplishments of the one individual you will always love and will never forget. Rocky’s gym bag is still as he packed it for the next trip he wouldn’t be able to make. Little things here and there that were part of his daily routine become important now that I barely noticed before.

Giving material things away is hard but the day comes when you must. Our loved ones don’t want us grieving our lives away much as a faithful dog who resides at his master’s grave and can’t be coaxed to leave. I know life must go on but that special person in your life will never go away. I am thankful for good memories as so many leave this world without ever being appreciated or loved.

It’s a good idea to make the time you have the best it can be. We never know when someone will buy us a wheel-chair!! (Just kidding, Becky!)

And I may pass the old Mark IV on the road one day and I know I will surely cry…………

Essentially Esther