<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

ELEVEN YEARS AGO YESTERDAY..... 

Yesterday was the 11th anniversary of my retirement. I would never have imagined my life as it has turned out since then. It was a wonderful day with everyone smiling and congratulating me……..and especially for the lady who took my place. She was as happy to have steady employment with all the benefits as I was to retire. As they say, one man’s poison is another man’s gain. I think it’s a little over-rated.

My friend of many years came from Emporia, Kansas with her husband and my oldest son, George, came from Shawnee, Kansas. When it was all over and I was alone at last it began to sink in. I was no longer employed and I didn’t want to go to “pot” so at first I jumped in and played with all my yard and house things until they became like being employed.

I was never able to master life in retirement as my late cousin, Dale. When we visited on the phone or e-mailed each other he claimed my “projects” made him tired just to listen to me. He maintained I might as well be working and getting the big money if I was going to work that hard for nothing.

Dale gave me a lot to think about. He was 10-years my junior and I had baby-sat him when he was a little guy……blonde and blue-eyed, he was a little sweetie. Now in our senior years he was satisfied to only do what he wanted. He was never one to impress anyone and would correct them if their praise was too lofty. No nonsense kind of guy……he was what he was…..period.

Actually, I’ve never come to grips with the fact that he is gone. This past year hardly gave me time to mourn his passing, but I was glad to step in and take on the legal connections that bind us to life. He would have done it for me and he did it for his mother. We are family and we take on responsibility for each other. It will soon come to a close and then I can disconnect from the paper-work and re-visit my memories of him.

The world was better for having him in it……………

Essentially Esther