<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, June 09, 2008

REMEMBERING DALE..... 

One year ago today my cousin, Dale, was found in his mobile home. It has been a long journey since then and the cause of death will never be known, other than the fact it wasn’t self inflicted. He had been watching one of his many videos as he lay on the couch and it appeared he just went to sleep.

When the East Alton police called my home I left the next day to identify and take charge of his body. When we entered, the TV set was still on video, it had never been turned off. His body was at the morgue and I summarily had him moved to a funeral home for cremation. I was told he had been dead for several days.

Rocky’s brother and his wife met me at St. Louis at the home of Rocky’s sister to help with all of the things that needed immediate attention. I rode with them to Dale’s mobile home which wasn’t too far from St. Louis but on the Illinois side. Their help during those first few days was gratefully appreciated.

Since then I’ve been through a mountain of paperwork that accompanies a tragedy like his. He was never married, never had children and didn’t leave a will. It left many questions that I did my best to find answers for. He was 10 years younger than me but we were always close.

Dale had lifelong friends and he kept up with them on the computer. He was gifted in so many ways and left certificates of excellence from his Navy days to his flight training and eventual license to fly, along with outstanding trophy’s from his work with the Federal Aviation Administration. He was liked by everyone for good reason…..he worked hard and was a team player.

He always loved the water, his first experiences were boating on Carter Lake and the Missouri river. Eventually he joined the Navy and his electronic abilities took over which gave him 30 years with the Federal Aviation Adm. He owned his own plane at one time and a sailboat which he enjoyed until as he said, “it got to be more work than fun.” He was never one to complain or discuss his health…..he was private in that way.

Through his death I have come to know his maternal cousin, Deanna, and enjoy hearing from her…..also a friend of Dale’s who more or less grew up with him. It is nice to hear from him also about all the wacky things boys do growing up.

Dale was loved by all who had the good fortune to know him and I shall always miss his humor and pleasant manor. He was a first-class guy.

Essentially Esther