<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

HEATING UP..... 

For starters, the weather is positively dripping outside from humidity. I do not know anyone who enjoys humidity……..myself included. I have been working in the garage to make order there and also to clean it up. Before I can finish what I’ve started, some things are going to have to go.

This month is going to be busy with doctor’s appointments and other dates we have marked on the “to do” list. I am making good headways in the changes of the house and I’m pleased with the progress so far. Lots to do yet.

My bunion is screaming at me for being on my feet so much and I have to stop until the pain gives up. It seems to like it when I’m sitting down. However, my drive is stuck in “go” and I hate having to stop. With our temps near 90 today and the humidity like it is I am grounded in the house but thank goodness for air-conditioners. I don’t know what I did years ago when we got through the summer without a fan, even.

When I think of picking beans, stemming, canning, washing the jars and the kitchen being like Hell’s Kitchen in July and August I have to applaud myself for that great feat. Pick and stem at night, get the jars washed and sanitized, blanch the beans and pack in jars to go in the pressure cooker. I don’t know a soul who does this anymore and I’m in a small town in the Bible Belt. We have given up so much for convenience……beans never taste as good as those did years ago.

Becky is working the desk at the Houston office today and I have lots to do here. I am so glad the nominees have been decided (if truly they have) so the ranting will subside on the TV. I had Dish Satellite put in a system for me and it has so many stations, free installation, $50 dollars free gas and $10 less a month than my old cable. I couldn’t imagine how bad the cable was until they hooked me up with the satellite……..I had the same reaction coming out of cataract surgery. Amazing how my life has cleared up.

Jonathan is doing OK……it’s slow and go but everyday seems a little better. His wife (Aimee) will deliver their little girl in July so they have a busy time coming up in the worst part of summer. Youth!! All I can think about now…….is my comfort zone. I hate being shut up in the house winter and summer but where we live it’s the only way to survive. When summer comes, I think about all our men and women in Iraq with temps hovering around 122* God bless ‘em.

Well, guess I’ll go spin through my 100 stations and pick something to entertain me while I’m working in the kitchen. Some things never change and some changes never last long enough. Yah, I know…..I would never have built Rome in a day! I would sip Italian wine and throw coins in the Tivoli fountain. I guess I could turn the sprinkler on and run through it like I used to do as a kid. That would be quite a feat here in the neighborhood………

Essentially Esther