<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, June 12, 2008

THE COMING GENERATIONS..... 

I had a visit from my grandson today. Nothing going on…no family dinner…no other family member here. Our visits are usually family gatherings or at least Becky would be here when he came.

I have not had much time with any of my grandchildren. Mostly because they lived elsewhere. In his adult years, Jonathan has lived closer than the other two. I have learned that being present is not a requirement for love. I have pictures, I have a phone and a computer. It has never been easier to visit with loved ones no matter where life takes them.

I have always loved one-on-one visits. When the children were little, I used to take turns giving them a few hours away from our usual routine. They could have me all to themselves for that time. I cherish the private talks we had just the two of us. When they were a little older, their father and I would take the three of them out to eat at a real restaurant where they learned manners when eating in public. It was a pleasant break for me but they would have preferred McDonald’s.

I still like a “special” time with my children and grandchildren. George and John call regularly and we have good long visits. I love hearing their laughter and I know them well enough to envision the look on their faces while they are talking to me. Becky living so close for many years is now the only family in our town.

Rocky’s three children and six grandchildren have been very good about keeping in touch and sharing their family news. Again, the distance doesn’t allow for many visits but we manage.

It was nice to listen to Jonathan’s “take” on things. He’s got his head on pretty straight and loves his family. He is getting over neck surgery and they are expecting a little girl in July. His family means everything to him and he works at parenting.

As a senior I think the younger folks are coming along just fine and are setting standards to be proud of. They all make me very proud and I think their parents have done very well by them……probably because I wasn’t close enough to spoil them all………..

Essentially Esther