<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, May 12, 2008

STORMS AND SORROW..... 

Monday is fast disappearing. Late afternoon and I’m wondering where the time went. Becky and I had a busy weekend, actually four days as she had Thursday and Friday off. We shopped for our booths and are getting ready for the next one. However that will wait until the next two weeks are over.

Becky will be gone this week and next week. One is for training and the other is for teaching at the MHWYP Academy. That following weekend we will be setting up the double sized booths at Harrison.

I’m sure you heard about the tornados across Missouri from Oklahoma on it’s way to Georgia. The statistics are unbelievable. The loss in property, personal effects and human lives take their toll as families try to dig out and retrieve what they can.

The past year has been full of disasters of all kinds but none as bad as the cyclone in Myanmar or the earthquake in China. It seems to me the earthquakes are more numerous up and down the Mississippi. I don’t know if it’s just faster reporting with all the electronic capability or if we are facing more and more disasters.

When I was a kid, the only way we got to “see” the news was to go to the movies and there we witnessed an eye account of world news. Otherwise it was the radio and newspapers. People were avid readers of the local newspaper where all the latest happenings could be seen. What a deal!! It was very exciting but ancient with today’s news capability.

Back to the tornados……the wind and hail, then rain beat against us for some terrifying minutes. Becky and I go to the garage for safety as the one corner is about 3 feet below ground. I have such a fascination for storms I stay at the windows and watch as long as I dare. The power and rage of winds at 70 miles an hour is awesome. I don’t use that word too often as I think it’s “over-used” but I have to say……it was awesome.

It hit early in the morning and Becky was up and watching the TV warnings of it coming our way…..she came here to warn me just minutes before it hit. We made it to the garage and stayed until it passed over.

I hope all you ladies had a nice Mother’s Day with your children and family members. Becky fixed breakfast for me…….what a breakfast!! I had biscuits and gravy, hash browns, a Jimmie Dean omelet with ham and cheese and some link sausage. It was enough for six people and I managed to get some of all of it down. Yummy!!

They always say what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger and I applaud all the folks out there who are picking up the pieces and starting over. What a job and heartache they have ahead of them! Until tomorrow,

Essentially Esther