<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

RAINY WEDNESDAY..... 

The days seem to fly by with increasing speed. I went out early to pull some weeds while it was cloudy and enjoyed seeing the berm transform into a pretty area again. I told you last year that our little Japanese Maple (that died) was putting some shoots up around the trunk so I had to fix it so the cats couldn’t crawl in it like they had before. I don’t understand why Napoleon and the cats want to play in the decorative grasses I have or the JM tree….but while I was weeding Callie jumped on the top branches and began having fun.

That did it! I went to the compost area where I had tossed the bird netting we put on the maple the first year we hat it. I had to pick the leaves out of it and revive it a little but that with 5 of Rocky’s tomato wire protectors did the trick. It was a big undertaking and I wore myself out working with the plastic netting that wanted to catch on everything but where I wanted it. However, I think I have a pretty good system worked out to keep the cats out of the tree now.

While I was working around the tree I got to thinking. Though it was dead to all appearances the skeletal structure was still serving a purpose. It was the foundation for the new growth coming up as the shoots were using the dead branches for support. I thought of my loved ones who have gone before me. Everyone of them continue to serve me, as well. I use the valuable information I gleaned from their life experiences as well as the good examples they were to me. I am somewhere between the dead zone and the new shoots. We all have our time of youth, growth and reclining years……just like the plant world.

Tomorrow Becky and I are going back to Harrison to re-fill our booths and shop for replacements. It’s an ongoing process. On Friday we are having a “girls day” with a good friend of ours. We are taking her for her first ever pedicure and then do lunch and girly things. Which reminds me, we leave early tomorrow so I will leave with a thought……….

There are three kinds of people: Those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who say, “What happened?” (Betty Wotsmann)

Essentially Esther