<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

SOMEONE WATCHING OVER ME..... 

I haven’t written for a few days….hummmm….more like a week. If you want to be really busy, try retirement. My friends and acquaintances who are retired all say the same. Life is on a speed-way to some unchartered course.

Becky and I were in Springfield all day on Monday. We initially went to finish some dental work for her and then did our walk-through of several favorite Flea Markets. We skipped lunch altogether and loaded the mini-van beyond belief. Rocky would be very proud of us knowing how well we can pack things.

Before leaving town and all the good restaurants we decided we deserved a great steak supper. It was wonderful just to be able to sit down and catch up with our day. Leisurely eating our delicious meal we talked of our many blessings and the way our lives have been up to now. If you want dinner conversation, just start counting your blessings. It will take up the time between chewing and listening to your dinner date.

Feeling good and happy, we paid up and walked to the van. Under the windshield wiper on the driver side was a note on a piece of paper torn from something else. It read: “Just so you know, there is a bulge on your right rear tire.” We scanned the tire and didn’t see anything so we headed East on Hwy. 60. The tire crossed my mind several times and I was hoping it was either a prank or the tire would get us home…..and it did.

I had to leave early the next morning for a 10:00 appointment but I rechecked the tire and sure enough, there was a large bulge with cracked rubber around the bulge. I drove a few blocks into town and was able to get right in. The men checked it out and said I would need a new tire…..so I thought I may as well go for it and get two new tires. Rocky always said to buy two new ones, put them on the front and use the former front ones on the back.

You wonder sometimes at the strange events that “just happen” in your life. The owner or manager, don’t know which, was there and offered me a chair in his office. At first he didn’t recognize me and I only knew him as having once lived down the street from us and the tire shop connection.

I took some magazines along to read but he seemed to want to talk. He began by telling me his wife died two months ago. This got my attention because on April 24th last year I lost Rocky. Before I knew it he was telling me all about the last year or so of taking care of his wife and then moment by moment until she died. I could have been anybody, he just needed to talk…..of course I felt a kinship and I let him talk it out.

He stopped several times and would walk to the office door with his back to me, stop his tears, then turn around to continue. Somehow when a loved one is taken it helps if you can talk about it to someone. I was his “someone” that morning. It put me to thinking….it is a wonderful blessing to be a “listener.” My name could really be “gabby” as my friends and family know I am talkative and enjoy conversation.

Yesterday I realized “talking” isn’t the antidote for anything unless you are a preacher, teacher or auctioneer. I have become much more quiet and reflective since Rocky died and it seems to fit me very well. I guess I’m a talker when it’s needed and a listener when it’s best. Being a Christian I try and let God take the lead and let me know the difference.

I am on my way to the cataract surgeon this morning for a final check-up and then grocery shopping. I will try and write more later about some things rattling around in my head….there’s a lot of space up there so rattling is vigorous.

May God have His way in your day……….be it talking or listening.

Essentially Esther