<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, April 21, 2008

JOY IS NOT A WORD, BUT A FEELING..... 

Monday morning and the washer and dryer are humming along. Monday’s will usually find me in a cleaning mood. Becky and I had a busy week so it is good to coast along today. The weather report is like it’s been all Spring…..beautiful today with severe weather moving in during tonight into tomorrow. Tornado season is open and looking for someplace to visit. Wednesday should be nice again with Thursday and Friday bringing more rain and severe weather. I have the house open to let the fresh air in so things are moving right along today.

Rocky’s Robin is in her nest…..same tree that he watched her build a nest in for several years. He loved watching the birds and when I joined him on the deck he had all kinds of things to tell me about the backyard critters he’d been watching. We were sitting there last Fall one day when the migration of butterflies went over our home. It was quite mesmerizing to watch them float on the air current…. and higher up than we would ever have imagined. Of course it was Rocky who made me aware of that….he always called me out to see something if I wasn‘t already there.

We watched hummingbirds flit around the tubs of flowers on the deck and in the lower flower garden…….they buzzed all around us because we sat so still. When I was resting on the deck a few days ago I noticed the Robin on her nest. I was sorry I missed seeing her and her mate build it but to see her was enough. I know it may seem presumptuous but at those times I feel Rocky very close. It gives my heart the warm fuzzies.

One of the funniest sights we enjoyed was a mother squirrel who had her babies across the street in a nest made in an oak tree. For some reason she must have felt unsafe as she spent a lot of time building another nest in our back woods. As we sat enjoying a little siesta one day she came running across the neighbor’s yard, and jumped the fence with a baby in her mouth. She ran to the back, climbed the tree with her new nest and deposited the baby. Back and forth she went until each little critter was safe in the new home.

How tired she must have been. Who could match her effort to care for her babies? If God built that into squirrels and the like how much does He put into us to provide for our children? If we take time to notice nature and all it contains there is a wealth of lessons He sends our way to meditate on. The little Robin gets hungry and tired, thirsty and troubled by marauding Blue Jays but her mate works tirelessly to protect her on the nest and the precious eggs.

I hope I have done as well with the children entrusted to me.

Essentially Esther