<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, March 17, 2008

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY..... 

Good morning and Happy St. Patrick’s Day!! Becky and I are celebrating this evening by having guests for dinner…..and yes!….I am having corned beef and cabbage. Our friends have 4-children who are home schooled so we decided to offer them the opportunity to answer some questions about Ireland. We’ve planned a fun evening and bright green will be the color.

With the dental work and cataract surgery over it will still be a busy week. I am in the process of re-doing but also keeping basic things the way they were when Rocky was with me. We all handle grief differently and this works for me.

I once read that Bobby Kennedy’s wife insisted on a place-setting at the table where he always sat. She also carried on a conversation with him during the meal. Of course I was much younger at the time and very opinionated about many things. Being young and inexperienced to grief and life’s lessons, I thought it sounded crazy.

Now while I don’t set a place at the table I am aware of the empty chair and at times find myself talking out loud instead of “thinking” what I’m feeling. It is a good plan to respect others going through any kind of loss. Death is not the only loss in our lives. It may be a relationship that died, a good job counted on and now being passed over, a divorce unexpected or maybe your health.

In most cases it is beneficial to talk less and listen more. It is my belief that the best solace we can give another is eye-contact and hugs, cry with them and be silent…..whatever works for the one grieving.

Today is a day when the Irish celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. Here in America there is a little Irish in all of us so today I celebrate that little bit in me. “Top of tha mornin to ye and have yerself a gud dey.” May you all find the pot of gold before the sun sets and may the wind always be to your back……and all the other stuff the Irish prayer says like……

“And may you be in heaven an hour before the Devil knows you’re dead……Amen!

Essentially Esther