<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

A CHAT WHILE IT SNOWS..... 

Old man winter didn’t wait long to let us know we had another good snow coming. Watching it fall was relaxing and the kitties enjoyed watching from their windows. My children, who used to love going out to play in it, have lost their fascination and dread going out in it for their drive to work. It’s true that some things we once experienced as favorable have now lost their charm.

I am becoming the person I never thought I would be….and I don’t need second helpings anymore because I’m eating a lot of my words. When my grandmother was old and no longer able to care for herself as she should, my mother’s sister Mary stepped up because she and grandma lived in the same house.

On visits I remember my poor aunt trying to coax grandma to eat. She made a pretty little tray with small dishes that were attractive……in season, a fresh flower in a vase and a tiny bit of wine. The doctor thought it would help grandma’s appetite.

Instead of embracing it as my aunt hoped, grandma would make a face and fuss about all the things she didn’t like on the tray. One or maybe two swallows of wine left her staring at the meal with distain. “Mary always has to put all that stuff in my food. She can’t just leave it plain.” Aunt Mary tried everything she could think of but no use. Grandma frowned through the whole meal and finally refused any more. Observing this I thought “I will NEVER be like that!” I will always eat and be grateful for the meal fixed for me.

I felt sorry for aunt Mary because she tried so hard to please grandma. It’s a fact that you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink. My turn came when my mother’s last years were much the same. She took the role of grandma and I took the role of aunt Mary. I faced the same scowls and had the same results. I finally learned that it does no good to make yourself sick because some family member won’t eat.

I will be 76 soon and I can see “it” happening. I have lost my taste for meat and many other things I once enjoyed. I think part of it is the pills older people end up taking as doctors try to rev up our appetites, exercise and brain focus. We end up with bad breath, minimal effect on our frailties and a loss of social and physical activity. Many like me have found the high priced medication I was taking caused other problems that have to be addressed. My problem is solved because I threw the culprit in the trash and not only won’t finish it….I won’t have the prescription filled again.

Younger people need to know that we are aging….it does not mean we are stupid or another pill will make our lives golden. We have lived through some pretty tough times and we know you can’t escape a lot of what makes us seem “different” now. I am not in a frenzy to be “cool” or look younger. I wouldn’t be caught dead in some of the clothing “they” wear…..never when I had a good body would I expose myself to such degrading apparel. I sat with great sadness as the Victoria Secret models strutted up and down the cat-walk at the finish of a program I was watching. The lack of modesty bandied about as the anorexic looking females displayed themselves for all to see is pathetic. These women are not the ideal for most men who are embarrassed at their exposure.

Ever wonder why your seniors don’t mind the thought of “leaving” this old earth? Mainly because the rules we were taught no longer apply. Because integrity is just something for someone to take advantage of….trust no longer exists with a hand shake or a friendship. Cheating is the new norm…….you’re stupid to achieve by doing the time and research on your education, but God is not asleep or dead or even blind to the ills of each of us.

There will be a pay-off for our attitudes, good or bad. There will be happiness for some who leave this life with relationships, friendships, hard work and charitable living in good shape. Folks who have spent a lifetime helping others, not expecting too much or assuming too much.

Am I down on young people? No, I like young people. Am I judgmental and pessimistic? No, I believe in optimism and encouragement. Do I believe in grabbing all the money I can, even if I have to come by it dishonestly? No! Money is just a bargaining asset. You spend your most valuable commodity for it…..your time. You exchange your time for money which you exchange for “things.” Money should never be the focus of life! Too much leads to sorrow and eventual loss. One just has to look at Hollywood to see what too much money can do to many.

I believe in God, I believe life is good. The choices we make affect so many others it is important to make good decisions. Stay away from what is offensive to you, “do unto others” and always do the right thing. You will live a good and happy life and now that we’ve had this visit, I am resolved to be a good patient for my personal doctor, Miss Becky. She tries so hard and goes out of her way to make sure I’m “on track.”

Here’s hoping the elections go for the way that is best for our country. For whoever is the winner, there is going to be a big job to serve our land and our world.

The snow has stopped and so must I…….

Essentially Esther