<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

WINTER'S GRIP..... 

Richard and Helen arrived Friday afternoon and were happy to see landscapes without snow piled up. They said one snow never melted before another one came where they live. We had a pretty weekend here……warm temperatures and sunshine so it gave us time to get out and enjoy the nice weather.

Richard took us to lunch after shopping in our favorite gift shop. The restaurant is new to our area and still clean….one of those places where a bucket of peanuts are on each table and you are to shell and eat them……then throw the shells on the floor. It’s hard for me to do but I manage. We enjoyed their visit so much

They left in sunshine on Sunday but there was a weather front moving in and by evening we had sleet and freezing rain. Accumulation around ½ inch. Yesterday it began once more and made a miserable day for the birds and stray animals trying to find food and shelter. They are pretty much up against it unless someone takes action in their behalf.

Becky had taken yesterday and today off and we had planned going to a couple of flea markets in Springfield….have a nice lunch out, then coming home with a nice collection of bargains. Although we don’t have the booths anymore at the “Barn” we still enjoy rummaging through flea markets. A trained eye can pick up a lot of bargains and we still have a way of getting rid of things we don’t care for anymore.

Since the weather changed our plans it will give us something to look forward to later. TV is a lot of company to me and I spend a lot of time on the computer when I can’t go out. I never got to my fall cleaning so now I’m getting an early start on spring cleaning. (An old excuse.)

I enjoy changing things around and making a fresh start….it’s also a good time to email friends or make those calls we keep putting off. I’ve been trying to read up on past issues of magazines and books I haven’t finished.

I have great concern for the pines in our front yard. Their branches have dipped clear to the ground and if we get any wind at all they will break off. This is the second time in a year we have had this same bad ice. Nature on a rampage is nothing to bargain with so I wait and hope they will stand one more time.

With so many people having more damage to their homes I realize a few trees aren’t to be compared, but still…..we planted them as 6-inch little seedlings in the mid-70’s and they have grown to mighty pines, keeping silent vigil over our home. They are old friends and somehow seeing them hang on I see they are like me….growing older and less able to hold the winds of change back. Life rushes by and time moves us onward to an unseen destination. It’s a little thing called “life”…….

Essentially Esther