<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, February 29, 2008

GOODBYE FEBRUARY..... 

The sun is up and the world is providing beautiful pictures for me. Dr. Jones said I would have the vision back I enjoyed as a child….well, he’s right. As a child I’m sure I took my eyesight for granted but after years of cataracts growing in both eyes my vision lost it’s sharpness, clarity and color, the qualities my jeweler says to look for in a good diamond. At my age and experience I have learned that good eyes are worth much more than diamonds so I’m happy.

I go back for the left eye March 11 and I’m told I won’t need my glasses anymore. After all these years of wearing them they have become part of my face…..I’m not sure I want to look at life without them….my “windows” through which I view my world…..but I will manage.

Today is the last day of February…..and with the bonus of an extra day. As a kid I used to read the comics in the Omaha World Herald and one of the great interests was “”Sadie Hawkins Day”…..the day when the gals could chase the guys and drag them to the alter. I could never see why Lil’ Abner didn’t want to marry Daisy May…..she was the forerunner of Dolly Parton and he looked strangely like Superman in those days, only with one strap hanging from his shoulders. For some reason I was thinking that was on Leap Year…..maybe not. Those of you who remember will have to let me know on the Comments section. Maybe it was simply Sadie Hawkins Day at the Cartoonist’s whim.

After so much “sunshine” in my life there has to be a little rain. I’ve been feeling a tooth for some time that put out little messages of impending trouble. Of course I wouldn’t make an appointment when it gave me a little warning……oh no…..I had to wait till today when it’s hammering on a couple of nerves that won’t go away. The next thing I will do today is call for an appointment……my dentist is 80 miles away and I gladly make the drive as he is the only “painless” dentist I have ever had.

Now that my eyes are near to being fixed I suppose I’ll inherit tooth problems and next will be hearing aids. Retirement means having time to see all the doctors and dentists…..plus other “special” people who are now the folks you see routinely in place of the work-place buddies you’ve had in your employment. One thing I can definitely say of being an elder citizen…..you MUST learn to be flexible. When you’re younger you push the world along at YOUR pace……but enjoy it….the time WILL come when you stare at pictures in waiting rooms….and it takes all day to apply ointments, take pills, put drops in your eyes, finding something on the menu that will accommodate your dietary needs and finding “things.”

Finding things is a “biggie.” When you have time away from the aforementioned needs there are always a few things you need to look for. I can’t find my car keys. I have looked everywhere and torture my brain trying to visualize where I might have had them last. Of course with each passing day my brain is getting further away from the vision. I loved my keys with the little cats bedecked with fake jewels on the clip so I wouldn’t lose them in my purse. I miss the car thingy that opens, locks and does other various things…..occasionally I would hit the panic button in the WalMart parking lot and then keep walking as if the car didn’t belong to me. Further down the line I could hit the “stop” gadget, return to the car without embarrassment and go home. I shall keep looking………

Today being Friday, I shall visit my friend in the nursing home and make pizza for Becky which is Friday’s fare at our house. Those of you who know John need to go to his site and wish him a happy birthday which is Sunday. Fifty-one years ago on that day he made his entrance and began the journey we call “life.” He has been a very special person and made our family complete. George was special because he was first, Becky was special because she was a girl…….John was special because he was born with needs only our family could give.

I loved them all as much but differently….only mother’s will understand what I’m saying……..

Essentially Esther