<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

TORNADO ALLEY..... 

I’m going to write a few lines to let you know we had a wonderful time with John, Barb and their friends, Brian and Faye. Becky drove in a rain all the way and it was pretty stressful at times but she ferried right along and we arrived safe. I drove coming back with dry roads and sunshine most of the way.

Needless to say it was a full day yesterday to unpack and take care of the critters after being gone a couple of days they were very glad to have us back. Now that Sassy has Punkin to keep her company she isn’t as “up tight” by the time we return. I often wonder what they think when we drag out our travel gear and they have no idea when or if we will ever return. It would be fun to know what they’re thinking….but maybe not ALL the time.

We had a tense night of tornado watches and several came down to do damage as it made it‘s way East where we live. Two people killed in separate storms and a lot of property damage for many. Becky sat up most of the night on watch and when the storms were close to us she came on the run to wake me. She knew I would sleep right through the sirens and was anxious to be ready if it touched down here.

Sure enough, I was sound asleep and never heard the 60-80 mile an hour winds, the heavy rain or thunder and lightening. Another storm was coming and I woke when I heard her softly calling my name……It was somewhere around 4:00am and we turned on the Storm Team we listen to when there is serious weather. We were on the weaker side of the storm, don’t know how the folks got along who were right in the path. The following waves of wind, hail, tornados and heavy rain kept coming. Finally, I decided to make some coffee….it was about 6:00am I suppose.

Before going to bed, I watched the LSU game and was thrilled they won the National Championship. I had faith in them…..they looked “all business” and once ahead, they never looked back. Considering the weak teams Ohio has played I felt pretty confident……their actions were more felt than “telt” as they say here. This will be the last year for LJ at LSU and I’m sure he enjoyed seeing the football team win the championship as a student. College kids don’t realize how they will miss the academic community once they graduate. It’s sad because the graduating class will never be together again in the same way.

Time for me to have lunch so I will just say how thankful I am to be out of the storm’s path. I’m thankful only two people were killed……the possibility for serious damage and loss of life was great. I am continually amazed at the fury of a tornado…..picking and choosing where it will come down and destroy everything in it’s path. One home they showed on the weather channel was flattened but a jar of salsa was sitting by itself in the middle of the chaos. The glass jar not broken and the label was still on it. Some times Mother Nature is hard to figure out……

Essentially Esther