<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

TIME AND MONEY..... 

January 16, 2008.……..whoaaa! Am I the only one who recognizes time going by too fast? How did it get to be mid-January 2008? Over the years I’ve tried to do too many things “once a day.” Multi-taskers may be a new buzz-word but ask your mother or grandmother how many things they got around to…..every day. Without modern conveniences they raised large families, took a backseat to the man of the house and kept a clean home. They worked from first light of day into the night. I don’t remember ever seeing them take pain pills or depression medication.

The time we spend is kind of like money. When I was young I thought a dollar here and a dollar there was of no consequence. Oh, but I was wrong. At the end of the month those tiny expenditures netted quite a bit. I can see now how important it is to live within a budget and to use control over finances. Time has taught me to use money well.

To skip to the point…..if it is important to watch our spending habits it is also true of time. I am more aware now than when I was younger because young people think they have all the time in the world. Truth is……we didn’t and we don’t. Time is important. It should never be wasted or boring, counted on or borrowed. Life doesn’t work that way.

The years I spent as a Driver Examiner proved to me that we don’t get the same amount of time. Over the years some of the teen-agers who took their driving test with me in flying colors were in a fatal accident before the next week. Mistakes kill. Speed, cell-phones, buddies, showing off, distractions or over-confidence are just some of the negatives that create the perfect opportunity for fatalities.

Time and money. The two hardest commodities to keep under control. I was reading an article in a newsletter from my bank and found a couple of interesting things. The article asks, “What Are Older People Good For”…..of course it grabbed my attention. The author is a Psychology and Gerontology Prof. At Missouri State University.

He calls us “seasoned” adults. How interesting! I think I like that. He says anyone who has lived past 70 years of age is a survivor. Nothing new here but he goes on to say, “Anyone who has lived past 70 years or more and can still smile and look forward to another day knows something I want to know. We can all benefit from our “seasoned” adults if we are willing to take time to listen. I have found it time well spent.”

Even at my age, I like being in the company of people older than me….I like to glean the wisdom and life experiences they have passed down. I also like to be around young people. They are the energy we once enjoyed and the window of the future. I enjoy being alone where my thoughts can take me as far as I want to go. The brain is a marvelous body-part and can soar as high as we can imagine.

Inspiration comes on gossamer wings to guide our opinions and attitudes to a safe place where the tongue cannot find them. That is the beauty of age…..delicate and often quiet we are half in the “now” world and half in the world to be.

Now is the time for us to spend all the love we have, to be true to ourselves and others……. and to prepare to meet our God face to face. In leaving, we have planted and watered the seed. The growth will continue after we are gone.

Essentially Esther