<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, January 14, 2008

CHRISTMAS IS NOT JUST A DAY..... 

I fully intended writing today but I was surprised by Becky coming in for coffee and breakfast with me. She didn’t go to work so we declared the day as “girls day.” We put things back in place from our Christmas party yesterday and enjoyed a leisurely day.

We spent Saturday getting ready for our Rockenbach kids to come on Sunday. We celebrated little Quintin’s first birthday, late but still fun. We had our dinner together and then Grandma and aunt Becky gave Quintin his gifts which he seemed to enjoy. He is a little cutie.

We then exchanged our Christmas gifts with each other. When all was said and done Becky and I carried in boxes of white elephants and stacked them in the middle of the room. Each person was given an envelope with a number and then could select a box to open. Well, it was tons of fun…..I got rid of things I had been clearing out since we quit our booth at the Antique Barn along with personal things I thought they could use.

They were allowed to trade, barter…..whatever…and there was lots of teasing and laughter. I think we’ll do it again next year as it was enjoyed by all. At the end of the White Elephant drawing, they were allowed to open their envelopes which had a monetary gift from Santa Clause.

It’s fun to step out of the box ever so often and do something different. By the time three score and fifteen years have gone by it’s just fun to change things up…..I’m a traditionalist when it comes to the Spiritual significance of the season but I do like a change in the rest. I confess the fact that I like to surprise people by going against their expectations.

Rocky was very much in our midst as we remembered him and the love that he constantly bestowed on us all. This first year without his physical presence will soon go by but he will never leave our hearts or the good memories he left us with.

……..always in my mind is the day we will meet once again.

Essentially Esther