<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, January 04, 2008

BUNNY IS NOW ENERGIZED..... 

I woke up to a new world today. A healthy one, renewed energy and light spirits. For some time I have been dragging along feeling tired and not able to get on top of things. That is not normal for me. Like many women I thought it was old age, depression or laziness. I kept making excuses for why I wasn’t feeling up to par.

In mid-December I had a major health issue……gallbladder or flu. Becky raced home from work after I called to tell her I was about to pass out. Of course, it scared the wits out of her and she came to my rescue. She is a pretty good nurse after dealing with surgeries and illness much of her life.

I was weak as a cat through Christmas and couldn’t prepare as I would have liked but we made do with the way things were. Becky and Barbara took over the kitchen as the food was here and our plans had been made for the menus. George, John, Barbara and LJ arrived late afternoon on the Saturday before Christmas with Murphy and Bear. It was the first time I can remember when I didn’t have a tree up of any kind. Never thought I’d see the day but old age is a hoot sometimes, changing many things we think is absolutely necessary for a celebration.

Have you ever hung up a WalMart plastic bag on the back of a chair for your Christmas stocking? Well, it’s amazingly fun. We had 5 chairs around the table with assigned seats for the whole visit. Becky wrote our names on the bags and we hung them on our chair. One by one we took Santa things to the darkened kitchen and put our gifts in each bag. It was great and we were like kids again wondering what our sacks held.

The UPS truck stopped every day in December with piles of boxes from QVC and other online packages. My small home looked like a clearing house for a packing company. Boxes were stacked around the walls with just enough room to walk through. John and Jennifer had all their gifts sent here for the family. Someone in the crowd suggested we didn’t open and wrap them but open them “as is” and let everyone wonder who it was for or from. Of course we had a shouting match because everyone claimed each and every thing opened.

John was the “box-cop” opening the mailing box and holding up the interior box. The best talker got to open the box with the “goodies” inside …..then claims were made as the contents were displayed. It was the most fun I’ve had in a long time. We decided we’d do that every year because we are so spread out as a family and it’s much more convenient to order on line……skip the wrapping. It may sound Scrooge-like but gifts, trees, stockings and all the rest are not the reason for Christmas. We still hold that as unchangeable…..Santa is not the Christmas gift at all but we serve the One who is.

After the family left I rested a few days and then made an appointment for my physical. I had to or Becky was going to bind and gag me and haul me off. She was certain my “attack” earlier was gall-bladder. As for myself, I didn’t know, but it felt like the dehydration events I’d had twice before. I went for a lab work-up and then an ultra-sound. Results came back the same day to my surprise but the big surprise was the gallbladder, kidneys and liver were in no way traumatized.

My PA thought I’d had the flu and then dehydrated for not drinking enough liquids. I feel sure she is right, since I’ve had those unhappy results before. I am now hooked up to the faucet where I drink like a drunken sailor. Don’t want to go through that again. Bottom line, everything checked out great except I’m on a stronger thyroid medication…..I was bottom of the barrel on that which explained the tiredness and muscle aches I’d been having. Thank you Becky for making me go for the tests…..it wasn’t gallbladder but because of your insistence, the problem was found. I would have never guessed low-thyroid. I’m stubborn but Becky and Barbara stuck with me…..thanks girls!

Next blessing……Becky and I sold our “Antique and Flea-Market” business the end of December. As we stood looking at the remaining items and planning our packing strategy, another dealer walked by and asked if we were selling out. Affirming we were, she asked if she could give a bid on it, which was very generous and we accepted. Then she bid on our ‘showcase’ items which were the most expensive. Again, she gave us a bid we couldn’t refuse.

I don’t believe in “luck”……but I do believe in miracles and blessings. As is said many times and ways before……“all’s well that ends well.” Becky and I will be meeting John, Barb and friends of theirs in Memphis for this weekend and will be home Sunday evening, good Lord willing. Then we look forward to the Rockenbach kids the following weekend for a belated Christmas and birthday party for Quintin, our new little grandbaby. He is a little cutie and this will be his first birthday. We will all miss Janet and family who live in California. We will call them for a phone visit when we are together.

If plans go right I will see you back here on Monday. I hope all of your news is “good news” and you have a wonderful weekend.

Essentially Esther